Setup Instructions : Gallery

Topics: Gallery
May 13, 2009 at 8:09 PM
Edited May 13, 2009 at 9:29 PM

OK - I must be an idiot (likely), but I cannot figure out how to get this thing setup.   This is what I did, but nothing shows up on my page (using umbraco 4.0.1):

-installed imagegen (not the pro version)

-installed DesignitGallery

-In "Media" section in umbraco admin, created a new folder and added some images to it

-Added the gallery macro to my template, it asks for a "folderId" :: What do I put here?  Is it the Id from the properties tab on the folder in the Media section?  If I enter this Id I get a Null exception when i view the page.  I must have done something incorrectly (I hope). 

UPDATE:  I know that imagegen is working OK b/c http://localhost/umbraco/ImageGen.ashx returns the "Hello World" image as it should

Any help is appreciated for this newbie to umbraco and this gallery package :)

Thanks....  brian

Here is the error I get (not very descriptive).  I looked at the YouTube package's instructional video, so I think I am using the Gallery correctly now.  I created a Media Picker property on my documenttype, put the macro in my template and referenced the alias for the property in the folder Id tag attribute like this "[#nameofproperty]".  In my page that uses this documenttype, I chose my folder node from the Media (which has images), saved it.  Now I just get this Null reference exception :

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
   Designit.Umbraco.Gallery.usercontrols.Designit.Gallery.Gallery.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +292
   System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +14
   System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +35
   System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +99
   System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +50
   System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +141
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +627

May 15, 2009 at 1:47 PM

I bailed on this extension for now.  I found this method using XLST and it worked great.  Easy setup and great instructions:  http://www.quartex.co.za/Blog/2008/06/19/UmbracoLightboxGalleryReadingFromAFolder.aspx

Maybe I'll come back to this one later.  If there is an update to my issue

May 17, 2009 at 12:20 AM

Hi,

Check your template where you placed gallery macro. The <head> html tag must have runat='server' attribute.

May be this solution will solve your problem.